Third CCC Camp to Open
In the process of compiling information for a volunteer fire department fundraiser calendar about Ryan Park, information was discovered concerning one of Wyoming’s many Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) camps. This one was located about 20 miles southeast of Saratoga, on the west edge of the Medicine Bow National Forest.
Here’s a bit of history about our state during the great depression, reprinted from the June 22, 1933, issue of the weekly newspaper, “The Saratoga Sun.”
“A special train bearing 200 men and the necessary equipment for the establishment of a forest army camp at Ryan Park, a short distance above Medicine Bow Lodge, is due to arrive here tomorrow, according to a message received by Agent Sam Faes. Mr. Faes was instructed to make arrangements for trucking service for transportation of the men and their equipment to the campsite.
“According to the original plan as announced some weeks ago, one of the camps for this region was to be located in Ryan Park, but later the order was rescinded. It is surmised that the enrollment of camp workers has been larger than was anticipated, so a second order for this camp has been issued. It is thought the men making up this force have been brought from states to the south of us.
“This will increase the total of camps in this region to three and the working force to 600 men. The other camps are located at Bottle Creek, a short distance from Encampment, and at French Creek.”
Writer’s note: The fourth CCC camp in the Upper North Platte River Valley was established in 1934 and located on Saratoga State Park property – now the Saratoga Resort and Spa, formerly called the Saratoga Inn.